Expanse Intelligence Database

Friday, February 9, 2018

The Shattered Void




While cruising around on the internet looking at the latest Kickstarters I found this nifty game idea by White Dragon Miniatures called The Shattered Void (Kickstarter). It is a different take on the fighter to fighter combat games such as the popular X-Wing. Shattered Void is a tabletop wargame for two or more players set in the cold vastness of space with engagements between several warring races.

Battles typically consist of between 5 to 15 vessels per side and last for roughly one and a half to two hours. This is a little bit more than what I like personally, I like these types of engagements to last no more than 30-45 minutes. This is to ensure that you could play two or three games in one gaming night. It would be terrible to be knocked out of the game in the first 20 minutes due to a lucky dice roll.

There are 3 core races that have been introduced in the Kickstarter. The Earth Exploration Fleets, Vitruvian Sovereignty, and the Astivar Collective. However there is a lot of room to expand and grow the universe. Remember space is vast!

The models that have been produced from the company are very good and have a lot of production value. The scale is on par with other games allowing you to mix and match your own ships into the game if you wanted.



After reading through the entire game I can say the gameplay is a little unique and interesting. I think it will require some additional playtesting with my friends before I can commit to recommending this to my gaming club. However it has the potential. Since I am not one to fawn after the other mainstream large company games *cough* Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast *cough* this game is intriguing to play instead. I am always a fan of the little guy.

I can safely say that I am seriously considering being a late backer of this project. So have look.

No comments:

Post a Comment