Expanse Intelligence Database

Friday, February 23, 2018

Gaming Community & Stores in and around Luxembourg!

In the last month I have been researching the local Luxembourg Gaming Community and what it has to offer. I have found a few stores of interest with active gaming days and genres. The predominate gaming genre here in the area is Games Workshops, Warhammer.  There is very little other gaming in the area that I have been able to find out. However my wife and I did do visit several gaming stores in Luxembourg, Trier, Metz, and Saarbrucken. Each has its own pros and cons as well as my own opinion on them.

First up is the gaming stores in and around Luxembourg City.

Spielbar Luxembourg
30 rue Felix de Blochausen 
Luxembourg, Luxembourg L-1243

This gaming store is the only one that I could find in Luxembourg City and it is very new. It was opened in the fall of 2017 and offers the predominate game of the area Warhammer.  The owners are quite nice and their facebook is updated regularly. It is a small space for gaming and has a good selection of retail merchandise. If I need to pick up some painting supplies in a pinch this is the place for me.

Games Tower
33, rue de la Gare Mersch 
Mersch, Luxembourg L-7535

Games Tower is located about 20 mins north of Luxembourg City in a little town called Mersch. This gaming store is also predominately Warhammer. It does have a large selection of card sleeves/card protection systems and a very small selection of X-Wing merchandise. The coolest part about this gaming store is that is has a huge playing space. There are several rows of tables and you could theoretically have about 10-12 tabletop games going at one time.

Next up on the list of gaming stores are those in Trier, Germany.

Spielbar Trier
Walramsneustr. 2b
54290 Trier, Germany

This gaming store in Trier is well rounded in terms of mercandise and gaming space. I was not overwhelmed by the Warhammer game here. It has several other games such Infinity, X-Wing, and Star Wars Armada, etc. It also has a large selection of board games, however they were all in German. In the basement there was a medium size area for gaming that could host about 6-7 games at once. The store had a huge selection of terrain for many game genres.

Games Workshop
Moselstr. 6, Treviris Passage, shop 1a 
54290 Trier, Germany

What can I say about this store, it is the bread and butter games store for Warhammer. The guys here are awesome and if you are into Warhammer this is the place to be in Trier. Interesting enough it is right around the corner from Spielbar Trier.

Moving on to our visit to Metz France and Saarbrucken, Germany.

La Caverne Du Gobelin
11 Rue des Clercs
57000 Metz, France

When researching the local gaming community I noticed that this store has 2 open locations. One in Metz and a second one in Nancy. They previously had a location in Luxembourg, but is has sense permanently closed its doors. This store does carry X-Wing and Armada, but none of the games are in English. They have a good selection of painting and modeling supplies. This store is very unique as it has a very large selection of Board Games.  They also feature a large gaming area in the back of the store.

Dragonlord Games
Mainzer Str. 39
66111 Saarbrucken, Germany



This store by far is the best of all of them that I visited in the area. It had some English language games vs French or German. The carry X-Wing, Armada, Infinity, Warhammer, Magic, etc. They did carry the Spartan Games lines of Firestorm Armada and Dystopian Wars. After talking with them I found out they intend on stocking them again plus Dropzone & DropFleet Commander games from TTCombat in the near future. I did end up buying the new Star Wars X-Wing Starter set for my wife and I to play while all of my furniture and models are being shipped from the United States to Luxembourg.

I have mixed feelings about all of them and none suit my needs even though Dragonlord Games has more of what I play. However, to get what I am looking for I will more than likely have to stick to ordering online and trying to build a gaming community around the games that I like to play.

Happy Wargaming!



No comments:

Post a Comment